Wednesday, December 31, 2014

In-Store Pickup Issues, Walmart Gift Card Program, and Macy's Award

Hello Everyone,

I hope 2014 has been a great year for you.  This will be my final research post of the year.

First up is an interesting study on in-store pickup issues.  Seems the checkout process is considerably longer when performing in-store pickup, vs. store shoppers who've done their own picking.  This matches my own experience recently at Best Buy.  After waiting more than the requested time to come to the store my order still wasn't ready so they sent the picker off to find and fulfill my order.  He couldn't locate the product.  After watching him wander around for a few minutes I went directly to the location I expected it would be at and found it on the shelf.  Seems the real problem for pickers is the lack of familiarity with products, each store having tens of thousands of SKUs. Whereas the customer knows exactly what they are looking for.

Here is the story:

http://www.chainstoreage.com/article/study-store-pickup-offers-slower-checkout

Next up is a Walmart gift card trade-in program they've recently launched.  Trade in cards from other retailers for Walmart credit.

http://www.progressivegrocer.com/departments/technology/walmart-launches-gift-card-exchange

Finally is the award to Macy's for best in mobile 2014.  They've earned it in my estimation.

http://www.mobilecommercedaily.com/macys-is-2014-mobile-retailer-of-the-year

Happy Reading,

J.W. Gant

No comments:

Post a Comment