Friday, September 26, 2014

Best Reading of the Day - Entry 0155 Apple Pay Skepticism

I don't consider myself an Apple lover.  I'm company agnostic when it comes to technology.  Pragmatism rules for me.  If it works and ads value for me I will consider buying it.  I don't care who makes it.  I have had iPhones since the first incarnation.  Own an iPad Air.  I have a Windows 8 tablet, a Nexus 7 Tablet, three computers connected at home running Windows 7, and I don't know what else.  So when Apple makes a move I look at the successful history, recent history, of the company but then I look at their product.

Apple Pay seems like a very overblown announcement to me.

One other writer has a similar take:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-im-not-sold-on-apple-pay

Here is a snippet from that piece:

Apple seems to have solved some of the key challenges that have dogged other attempts at mobile payments. The company has the merchant banks and card issuers on board, with all the major players supporting Apple Pay. Additionally, the Touch ID fingerprint scanner and Passport wallet technology solve one of the key issues with mobile wallets, where complex passwords or convoluted apps created a payment process that was more difficult than traditional plastic. Therein lies the rub for any new mobile payment technology: it needs to be easier than plastic.

Happy Reading,

J.W. Gant

No comments:

Post a Comment