Monday, November 3, 2014

Best Reading of the Day - Entry 0163 Payments Evolution

ArsTechnica has a very solid read today titled:

From “cash only” to NFC-ready, how we buy determines what we buy
Here is the article:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/11/from-cash-only-to-nfc-ready-how-we-buy-determines-what-we-buy/

Here is a snippet from that piece:

... I went on a much-needed jog, the kind that lasted long enough to work up an appetite. I was close to finishing, and all I had on me were my phone and a pair of headphones—yet I knew I’d be returning to a house sorely lacking in food. Suddenly, there was that McDonald's. I had a hunch that a giant restaurant chain might be the perfect place to find an NFC-compatible payment kiosk, so I made the one-block-away pit stop. A crowd of teens watched as I tapped my phone on the McDonald’s register and paid $1.63 for a chicken sandwich.

The mobile wallet is coming closer and closer to reality.  I use the Starbucks app and the Dunkin app, and have CurrentC loaded on my phone.

The other day I did a mobile-only trip, with the exception of my driver's license.  Placed an order at Five Guys using the app and paying through the app.  Popped in to Dunkin Donuts as well to get a caffeine fix and used the app.  Never touched my wallet.  I had driven, though, so my driver's license was in my wallet in my back pocket.

Getting closer.

Happy Reading,

J.W. Gant

No comments:

Post a Comment