Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Apple Pay Has Launched

October 20 was the word on the street.

Apple Pay will launch October 20.

Okay.

October 20 rolled around and I started fiddling with my very new iPhone 6 to see if I could figure this out.  Passbook?  Nope.  Update?  None available.  I was on 8.0.2 and Apple told me there were no updates available.  Okay what?  October 20 right?

Time to Google.

Eventually I found news that Apple Pay would come with the 8.1 iOS update due to hit October 20.  As I was travelling I had to wait a bit before I could perform the update.  Here is what other people were saying in the meantime:

Apple Pay Works, But It Can’t Speed up Lines of Non-Users
http://www.digitaltransactions.net/news/story/Apple-Pay-Works_-But-It-Can_t-Speed-up-Lines-of-Non-Users

WHY BANKS LOVE APPLE PAY

That headline shouldn't be encouraging to merchants.  

Moving on, here is the New York Times and others:

Apple Pay: Seamless in Stores, but Quirky Online

Some Banks See Apple Pay as a Threat

So, wait, what?  Banks love Apple Pay.  Banks Hate Apple Pay.  Huh?

Google may have to make a move:

Google plans to ride Apple Pay popularity to cash in with Google Wallet

So how did it go with me?

Tuesday night I went through my usual careful backup routine with my iPhone before updating to iOS 8.1.  There within Passbook was a '+' sign and simple instructions to add a card to Apple Pay.  My Capital One card is now available for use with Apple Pay and ... I have nowhere I shop to use it.  Walgreens?  Nope.  Whole Foods?  Sometimes maybe.  Panera?  I eat at my desk every day.  I may shop at Macy's over the holidays.  

What about my bank debit card?  Tried to add my Santander card and Apple Pay told me this issuer does not currently support Apple Pay.  500 banks on-board with Apple Pay and I can't add my debit card.  

Maybe some day I'll try Apple Pay.  Meanwhile on my trip I stopped at Starbucks two or three times and paid with my Starbucks app earning a gold star each time.  I'll swing in to Dunkin Donuts shortly to try out those Pumpkin Donuts again this year. Probably buy some for the office.  Yeap, I'll pay with my Dunkin App so I get the DD Perks.

How about you?

Happy Reading,

J.W. Gant

**UPDATE**  Two quick updates.  First is this excellent piece from Re/Code:
http://recode.net/2014/10/24/apple-pay-review-the-recode-bi-coastal-team-test/

Next is news of Rite Aid first allowing, then turning off Apple Pay:
http://www.digitaltransactions.net/news/story/Would-Be-Apple-Pay-Users-Disappointed-When-Rite-Aid-Apparently-Turns-Off-NFC

**UPDATE #2**  I missed this excellent article on Time and feel it is worth checking out:
http://time.com/3532199/apple-pay-winners-losers/

No comments:

Post a Comment