Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Life in the Galaxy

Every now and then I ask you readers to indulge me with a bit of an off the trail topic. This is the technology blog after all and that means science.

I've written about the great filter.

Storms in New England.

More.

Here we go again.  Is there life elsewhere in our galaxy?  Best guess says we really need to go explore to find out.

Here is a snippet from the piece:
I
t’s something people tell me all the time, and usually in hushed tones: “With a trillion planets out there, we really can’t be the only intelligent beings in the galaxy.” In other words, given the enormous amount of real estate in space, aliens are sure to exist. So why haven’t we found any?

I don’t dispute this straightforward idea because, after all, it underpins the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI). But not everyone agrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment