Tuesday, July 19, 2016

A Letter to the Daughters Out There

Great little read:

My daughter is almost eight. She likes princesses and Harry Potter and doll houses and making videos to Taylor Swift songs and she has a few very clear influences and/or heroes. Mal from the Descendents. Hermione. My wife. Me. Her great grandmother Sadie.

And now I want her to be influenced by the Ghostbusters. The new Ghostbusters, not the version with Murray and Ackroyd. I want her to love the version with women.

As an aside when I started this post I was unaware of this horrible attack on Leslie Jones, the smart African-American Ghostbuster who knows New York history. On behalf of – I don’t know, the Internet everywhere? – I apologize. We suck. I wish that after 20 years of regular Internet use we’d all be better people. We’re not. We are literally the worst.

Read the full story here:

https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/19/for-my-daughter/

My daughter is 4 and curious about everything in the world.

Oh, and, the clips I've seen from this new Ghostbusters movie look absolutely hilarious.

Happy Reading,

J.W. Gant

No comments:

Post a Comment